Orthodontic Skeletal Surgery, also known as Orthognathic surgery, is performed by Dr. Krochmal when jaws do not meet correctly and/or teeth do not fit with the jaw bones. Normally, teeth are straightened with orthodontics, and then corrective jaw surgery repositions the misaligned jaws.
This type of jaw surgery improves facial appearance and also ensures that your teeth meet correctly and function properly.
An improper bite and jaws that are positioned incorrectly occurs when the upper and lower jaws grow at different rates. These problems can also be caused by injury to the jaw or birth defects that can affect your chewing, speech, long-term oral health, and appearance.
Orthodontics alone can correct bite problems when only the teeth are involved. Orthodontic Skeletal Surgery may be required for the jaws when their repositioning is necessary. Dr. Krochmal can also place temporary anchorage devices (TADs) when your orthodontist requires their use during orthodontic treatment.
Signs that you may have misaligned jaws
- Difficulty in chewing, biting or swallowing
- Speech problems
- Chronic jaw or TMJ pain
- Open bite
- Protruding jaw
- Breathing problems
Our jaw surgery patients benefit from:
- Comfort during surgery through the use of several anesthesia options including nitrous oxide analgesia and intravenous anesthesia.
- An experienced surgical team of professionals who are committed to making your experience as easy and comfortable as possible.
- The highest standards of instrument sterilization and autoclave monitoring.
- A commitment to work cooperatively with your dentist and orthodontist to provide the highest quality of care.
If you are in need of dental care that requires Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery and Dental Implants, please call us at (757) 440-7777. Thank you.